Monday, November 28, 2011

25


My friend Laura and I have spent hours and hours talking about life. This picture is from one of those coversations. We analyze, we hash it out, we talk it through over and over again. The people, the complicated situations, the emotions. We've read the self-help books, we've taken the Oprah classes (really), we just really like trying to figure it all out. It is fun to us.

So it came as no surprise that when I turned 25 this year I spent some extra time in thought over where I've been and where I'm going. I've always expected to have the "Quarter Life Crisis" that John Mayer told me about in one of his songs. I didn't have one. The last 25 years have been so wonderful. I've had some ups and downs but it has all brought me to where I am today. And what I know is that the next 25 have the potential to be even better. They have the potential to be worse, too. Let's face it, I'll probably experience more heartache, more trouble, more grief in my second 25. Sounds bad but it's the truth, right? I'm in the real adult world, I have responsibilites and will only take on more. Those I love aren't getting any younger and neither am I.

At year 25 I'm setting out on a mission to enjoy my life even more than ever before, come what may, come what will. To do this, I'm laying a few ground rules for myself. I got the idea from the book The Happiness Project. It's my own personal 10 commandments. They are unique to me. They are things I picked up from the Bible, books, friends, articles. Too lofty to achieve but it can't hurt to try!

1. Love, First.
2. I can do anything, I can't do everything.
3. Always expect the best outcome.
4. Love what I do. Period.
5. Take time to savor the beautiful things.
6. Don't take on the burden of things I can't control.
7. In this world there will be trouble. His grace will get me through.
8. Don't worry about how it is "supposed" to be... just LIVE.
9. Put people above things.
10. Laugh often.

Laura, you wanna chat?

1 comment:

  1. So I am just now seeing this post...love your commandments! Oh yeah, and I would love to discuss and hash them out with you!

    ReplyDelete